[ale] [OT] RIP Aaron Swartz

Matthew simontek at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 23:20:30 EST 2013

He is the 2nd InfoSec friend I have lost in the past 2 years to suicide. I
am greatly upset about it. Both him, and Len Sassaman used to attend HOPE
every time. I found out this morning, and have been upset all day about it.
There is a lot of things he is still needed for, I don't know why he
thought he had nothing to live for. That said, If anyone has the feelings
of not living, call me. I will try my hardest to make you see why your
needed. I don't care if your my mortal enemy, I do not want to see another
person take their life too early.

Regards

Matthew

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 10:54 PM, Tim Watts <tim at cliftonfarm.org> wrote:

> Anyone else as sickened by this as I am?
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/12/us/new-york-reddit-founder-suicide/index.html
>
> http://lessig.tumblr.com/post/40347463044/prosecutor-as-bully
>

> http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/09/feds-go-overboard-in-prosecuting-information-activist/
>
> I hope this isn't tinder for a flame war, and Jim, I'll apologize
> upfront if it turns into that.
>
> I don't contend that the prosecutor could have / should have foreseen
> this outcome.  What sickens me is the enormous talent we've lost because
> of a prosecutor with no sense of proportion.  Even if Mr. Swartz hadn't
> killed himself would it really have been necessary to waste such a
> talent with a 35 year sentence for a single misguided prank?  Even
> JSTOR, the victim, declined to press charges for his crime and asked the
> feds to drop it.  The federal prosecutor's name is Carmen Ortiz if
> anyone's interested.
>
> Aaron Swartz had already made important contributions to advancing the
> concept of Free Culture in our society (see the Lessig post).  At such a
> young age he almost certainly would have made many more.  But no more.
> Just a sickening waste.

SimonTek
912-398-6704