[ale] Homeland Security warns to disable Java amid zero-day flaw

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Fri Jan 11 15:23:26 EST 2013

Steve Gibson has been talking about this on the Security Now Podcast for months.  I removed Java from all my Windows systems months ago.  I cannot figure out how to completely remove it from Ubuntu.  There are a couple of things I might need it for, so I'm considering loading it in a vm or something but haven't come up with the solution.  If you must have it on your system, there are ways to disconnect it from the browser if you're running java apps rather than applets.  The problem is that sometimes it gets put back during updates.  All the more reason to run NoScript in Firefox and prevent scripting except where absolutely necessary.  It's also a good idea to go into the settings for LibreOffice and turn off its access to Java and VisualBasic.

Ron

Chuck Payne <terrorpup at gmail.com> wrote:

>God, Java lately becoming a real pain.
>
>http://www.zdnet.com/homeland-security-warns-to-disable-java-amid-zero-day-flaw-7000009713/

Please excuse my potential brevity.

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

Ron Frazier
770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
linuxdude AT techstarship.com