[ale] how do I make a virus proof nas?

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Tue Jan 8 20:31:59 EST 2013

Hi all,

I'm considering making a mini nas to run backups on here at home.  It would probably have 2 - 4 TB of storage.  My router has 1 USB port, so I could just attach a HDD to that.  Or, I could get something like a Buffalo Link Station which holds two drives and attaches to the router.

The main concern I've always had about having backup media attached all the time is that, if a virus got into the machine, it could attack and wipe out the backup drive.

So, I need to know how to make a virus proof nas, such that at least one partition on the device is accessible only  to the backup software for write mode.  I don't care if everything can read the backup file, but I only want the backup software to be able to add new files, write to them, or delete them.

I need something that can run while Windows 7 is running and backup using the volume shadow copy service.  I also need it to be able to back up the ext4 Ubuntu partition on the PC's HDD, either by reading the native file system or by using a sector by sector approach.  This way, I can just let the backups run periodically on their own and not worry about malware affecting the backup.

Any help is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Ron

Please excuse my potential brevity.

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

Ron Frazier
770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
linuxdude AT techstarship.com