[ale] The perpetual question: best current HDD?

Brian Mathis brian.mathis+ale at betteradmin.com
Tue Jan 8 13:16:00 EST 2013

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm looking to replace some 1TB HDDs in a s/w RAID-10 array with some
> 2TB models.  The existing drives have been running flawlessly for a few
> years, so they are due to get swapped out anyways.  I did have one disk
> fail a year or so ago so it was swapped out, and I bought a cold spare
> at the same time so I have one more spare (of the same type/model as the
> replacement drive).  So I'm looking for another pair of drives that I
> can use as the mirrors (so each mirror has one of type/batch-A and one
> of the yet-to-be-bought set of drives).
>
> Of course, when I bought the drives warranties were 3 or 5 years, not
> the '1 or 2' years they are now.  So I'm looking for the "best value"
> 2TB drives available today -- lowest price for highest quality + good
> warranty.  It looks like I can pretty much only choose between WD and
> Seagate nowadays -- I guess lots of consolidation in the market?  (My
> existing drives were Hitachi, which in my experience were always great
> drives).
>
> What's the current going theories and best practices?  Any concrete
> suggestions (links to NewEgg or some other vendor would be appreciated).
>

> Thanks,
> -derek

Check the storagereview.com leaderboard
(http://www.storagereview.com/best_drives) for recommendations on
their best drives for each category.  They are impartial and do a lot
of reviews.

Many people will swear by one brand or another, but that is mostly
anecdotal and thus meaningless.

❧ Brian Mathis