[ale] Ubuntu 12.10 desktop will not fit on a CD

David Tomaschik david at systemoverlord.com
Tue Jan 8 01:23:01 EST 2013

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 6:56 AM, Ron Frazier (ALE) <
atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Re: Scott and David - Can an ISO be compressed?  Or is it already
> compressed?  I guess you'd have to uncompress it to use it though.

An ISO is essentially the contents of an ISO-9660 filesystem (or UDF, in
the case of some DVDs).  Most of the contents of the disk is a squashfs
filesystem (compressed) are deb packages, which are compressed using
gz/bz2/lzma/lzma2, so re-compressing them would be marginal at best.  Long
story short, the people distributing the disks aren't trying to bump up
sales of DVD-Rs, the things included are just getting bigger.  Probably due
to crap like Unity and the Amazon Search Lens, but that's the story.

> Re: Wolf - I THINK the 12.10 server package still fits on a CD, but I
> haven't tried that.  All the 12.04 packages still fit on CD.
>
> I like to have physical media for anything that's archival, as physical as
> you can get anyway with organic dye on plastic.  I don't trust flash memory
> sticks with archival data.  When I taught at Lanier Tech for a while, I saw
> examples of situations where files suddenly became unreadable on memory
> sticks.

Use silver or gold-based dye, not organic, if you want to archive data.  I
personally think it's much faster to put installation media on flash than
on optical media, and I sure don't care about archiving a Ubuntu install CD.

> Steve Gibson has reported on the Security Now podcast that a number of his
> listeners have reported of having troubles with SSD's and that running
> SpinRite in read only mode helps them.  Apparently, since the data is
> stored as a voltage in a capacitive memory cell, that voltage can degrade
> over time.  Reading every sector of the device forces its controller to
> examine every cell and refresh any that need it.  You could probably do the
> same thing with badblocks.
>
> Also, with some devices, just having them powered on allows the controller
> to do background scrubbing.  I don't know how applicable that is to memory
> sticks though.  At the very least, you want to power on your devices
> periodically and leave them that way for a while.

My feelings on this are similar to those regarding using badblocks on a new
drive: that's what backups are for.