[ale] upgrading my obsolete Ubuntu 11.04 to What?

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Mon Jan 7 10:08:11 EST 2013

Hi all,

I want to thank JD, James, Jim, and others who responded to this thread previously.  I've been tied up with repartitioning all my internal hard drives to 1 MiB sector boundaries.  I haven't had any chance to look at upgrading my Ubuntu installations yet.  However, I'll be re looking at all the info provided when I work on this project.

Thanks to Don for this message.  Snow Linux looks cool, however, my inclination is to either upgrade to or install 12.04 and then figure out how to add Mate.  It looks like the Snow Linux setup has a very small team of part time people.  I wouldn't want to be left hanging without support.

I'll probably try all this in a VM.  I really like the customizability of the Gnome 2 panels.  I never leave the panels in their default state in Ubuntu 11.04.  I put one up at the top to show what apps are running, along with the cpu frequency scaling monitor.  I put another over at the side to hold the menu, frequently used icons, and the cpu, memory, and swap monitors.  It also has the system tray of icons at the bottom.

I hope I can figure out a way to do this when I "upgrade" my system.

Sincerely,

Ron