[ale] Ubuntu 12.10 desktop will not fit on a CD

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Mon Jan 7 09:56:22 EST 2013

Hi all,

Re: Scott and David - Can an ISO be compressed?  Or is it already compressed?  I guess you'd have to uncompress it to use it though.

Re: Wolf - I THINK the 12.10 server package still fits on a CD, but I haven't tried that.  All the 12.04 packages still fit on CD.

I like to have physical media for anything that's archival, as physical as you can get anyway with organic dye on plastic.  I don't trust flash memory sticks with archival data.  When I taught at Lanier Tech for a while, I saw examples of situations where files suddenly became unreadable on memory sticks.

Steve Gibson has reported on the Security Now podcast that a number of his listeners have reported of having troubles with SSD's and that running SpinRite in read only mode helps them.  Apparently, since the data is stored as a voltage in a capacitive memory cell, that voltage can degrade over time.  Reading every sector of the device forces its controller to examine every cell and refresh any that need it.  You could probably do the same thing with badblocks.

Also, with some devices, just having them powered on allows the controller to do background scrubbing.  I don't know how applicable that is to memory sticks though.  At the very least, you want to power on your devices periodically and leave them that way for a while.

Sincerely,

Ron