[ale] If you own (almost) ANY HDD, repartition with 4k boundaries

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Sun Jan 6 11:25:27 EST 2013

On 01/06/2013 10:53 AM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
> Of course, most anyone installing XP at this time could go with 7 and be much
> better off in almost all aspects.

Except costs, if they already own a WinXP license.

I just reinstalled WinXP into a VM for Mom a few weeks ago. She's been using
Linux for 3 yrs and loves it, but there are a few programs that will not run
under WINE.  Mom doesn't want to spend any money on this stuff, which I
understand completely.  She will probably never need another Microsoft OS during
her life.

I hope everyone playing with Windows8 in a dual boot environment knows about the
risks to corruption if you access the NTFS partitions from Linux.  Hybrid boot
needs to be **disabled** inside Windows8, at least that's what my reading says.