[ale] HELP - Partition Misaligned message after cloning disk

David Tomaschik david at systemoverlord.com
Thu Jan 3 20:06:56 EST 2013

Older drives were built with 512B sectors, so a sector starting at any 512B
boundary IS "properly aligned"... to that drive.  Newer spinning media
drives use 4kB, as discussed earlier, so your partitions should ideally be
aligned to a 4kB boundary (as well as files).  To add to the complexity, a
similar thing holds true for erase block sizes on SSDs, but those can be as
large as 4M.  Of course, aligning files to a 4M boundary is not as easily
done unless you want lots of wasted space... so it's a tradeoff in that
case.

>>> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/**9879631/123112-Screenshot-02.**png<https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/123112-Screenshot-02.png>
>>> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/**9879631/123112-Screenshot-03.**png<https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/123112-Screenshot-03.png>
>>> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/**9879631/123112-Screenshot-04.**png<https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/123112-Screenshot-04.png>
>>>
>>> Windows 7 seems to run fine and is apparently not bothered, although
>>> there may
>>> be hidden effects I cannot see.  What are the implications of this?  How
>>> do I
>>> fix it?  Note that I don't want to erase any data in any of the
>>> partitions.  The
>>> disk is formatted as MBR.
>>>
>>> The following scree

> (To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
> messages prior to 03/31/12 with my personal address will go to the wrong
> address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

> quickly.)
>
> Ron Frazier
> 770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
> linuxdude AT techstarship.com