[ale] upgrading my obsolete Ubuntu 11.04 to What?

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 09:53:13 EST 2013

Please, _please_, don't base any opinion of Debian on that god awful
review. The person who wrote it had no clue what Debian is when they
started (and finished) writing the review. I provided a real Debian 6
review in the comments of that article --
http://www.osnews.com/thread?466607

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to stick with Ubuntu and just
install a desktop environment that suits you. If I, for some wacky
reason, install Ubuntu on a system I always end up doing `apt-get
install xubuntu-desktop` to get a usable desktop environment. Hell,
you could even install Gnome 2 --
http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2012/01/05/how-to-install-cinnamon-in-ubuntu-11-10/

As for your settings, that's why you have home directories and
personal dot files. You should be able to take your home directory to
any distribution and retain all of those settings (but you will have
to apply the appropriate permissions to the files).

--
James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/

CH:D 59