[ale] upgrading my obsolete Ubuntu 11.04 to What?

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Thu Jan 3 06:13:03 EST 2013

Look into the dpkg --get-selections; dpkg --set-selections as a way to migrate apps between OS versions.  This doesnt' address settings or data, but your backups should easily handle those.

Before 12.04, some system configuration things were different - resolv.conf as an example.  Newly installed systems appear to have different settings than upgraded systems. I've been screwed by this a few times myself.  I prefer to load a new OS on a newly formatted partition for that reason.

I'm with you on staying on LTS releases, but don't really expect 5 yrs of use out of a desktop. Back-ported patches do not cover it for a desktop when the rest of the world moves forward with a new version of many client apps. It is hard to explain, but you'll see that new apps only get built for the last Ubuntu release, not the LTS version after about 18 months. Security patches are back-ported, so you don't have to move forward until the cloud-functions break.  I usually make it about 28 months between LTS desktop switches.  On 10.04, thunderbird and firefox releases ended a few months ago and installing libreoffice became problematic as a few examples.  Still, the 2.5 yrs of stability where great.

For servers however, I'm using the 5 yrs right now with a few 8.04 servers that are still patched and have been happily working since summer 2008. Migration of those servers is happening soon.

As to which Gui to run - that is completely up to you.  A GUI is just another program after all, not core to the OS.  Heck, have some fun with fvwm.

--
Sent from a Linux system.