[ale] Charter (and Comcast) providing IPv6 via 6RD Border Relay

Brandon Wood woody at 2143.net
Thu Feb 28 22:52:31 EST 2013

  Awhile back I hit up Charter about IPv6 support and got the normal
blow-off answer. Every once and awhile I get the bug and search to see
if the answer has changed. And today I found out it did! At least in
part...

  Not sure when they set this up but they have enabled their customers
to use 6RD tunnels. This all basically works the same way as
connecting to HE.Net. I can't say that there is much benefit over
using Charters tunnel than HE's; but, hey, it's a start.

In my searches related to this information it seems that Comcast has a
similar setup as well.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6_rapid_deployment

=================================
Link to a lengthy post about their IPv6 rollout:

http://www.myaccount.charter.com/customers/Support.aspx?SupportArticleID=2665

=================================
Specifics on setting up:

Preparing for IPv6

Inventory your devices and contact your equipment manufacturers to
determine compatibility for IPv6.
Visit the IPv6 test site(s)

6RD Configuration Settings
As part of Charter's IPv6 Trials we have made available a Public 6rd
Border Relay. If you are interested in participating in our early
trials and own a device that supports 6RD use this configuration
information to begin experiencing the Next Generation Internet:

6rd Prefix = 2602:100::/32
Border Relay Address = 68.114.165.1
6rd prefix length = 32
IPv4 mask length = 0

Primary DNS Address = 2607:f428:1::5353:1

Secondary DNS Address = 2607:f428:2::5353:1

Please click here to read disclaimer.

I found the following links helpful when setting up the tunnel:

http://tomatousb.org/forum/t-473266/howto-ipv6-using-6rd

http://gist.github.com/uberushaximus/1016433