[ale] Fiber optic ethernet

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Thu Feb 28 11:42:28 EST 2013

In the configuration I was speaking of both ends are 10 GigE fibre.   In our current setup we have a few hosts/appliances with the 10 GigE HBAs and do direct connect between the various ports.   We recently bought a switch as we intend to add other hosts but need to connect them to the appliances that we can't add more ports to.

However, I don't think that is what you were asking about - I was just noting it is one way to go but it might be expensive for home use.

What I *think* you were asking is about something like:
Each Host and/or your swtich/router between them has standard Ethernet port with RJ45 to which you run standard cat 5 cable.
You want to avoid having the run from host a go to host b (or from the switch/router between them) on cat 5 cable because it is  copper and susceptible to being zapped by lightning.

What I saw once upon a time to solve this for RJ11 (telephony) was you could put a small box near each host that would let you plug in a copper cable on one end of the box but would convert the signal to fibre on the other end of the box.  You'd then run the fibre cable from that other end to one end of the same kind of box at the remote host and then the other end of that box would be used to convert the signal back from fibre to copper so you could plug in using standard connector.   I'm assuming something similar exists for RJ45/cat5 but I've never actually seen that.