[ale] selective DNS server for DHCP clients?

Erik Mathis erik at mathists.com
Wed Feb 27 14:35:17 EST 2013

Been there and setup a dasguardian box. Its a really robust content
filter and lets you do all sorts of cool things.
You can use it to setup access times, or setup a list of sites they can
get to by either a username/password (NTLM) or by IP. It wont work for
SSL in transparent mode. The proxy settings need to be setup on the PC
or you can use a tau.pac file.

In DHCP put her mac in create and static entry, then make it hand out a
gateway address of the filter boxes internal IP.

Like your DNS method or URL filtering, DG also uses a weighted keywords.
You can set a threshold for denying a site.

For instance
sex:10
toys:10
erotic:60

Threshold = 30

So a site that is selling adult toys she wouldn't be able to see, but a
kids toy store would be fine.

Its a much better approach then trying to figure out what to block/allow

-Erik-