[ale] AARG! Warning - backup up android apps weekly

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Wed Feb 27 12:50:31 EST 2013

Hi all,

Yet another one of my app developers for android has chosen to butcher and dumb down their UI, ruining the app for me.  I promptly turned off auto update for that app and installed the previous version from a backup that I just made, coincidentally, yesterday.  Now I have the app I like back.  It was the PocketCasts podcast downloader.  Unfortunately, I'll never get bug fixes or updates now.

Astro file manager (older version) has an application backup feature that backs up all the APK files.  I like to use that weekly.

Let's think like a developer:  I have an app that lots of people like and depend on.  It's useful, functional, and gives them lots of information and control.  I have lots of positive reviews.  I think I'll screw up the UI, make it harder to use, remove information from the screen, give the user less control, OH and remove the widget!

AARG!  Nothing like wasting half an hour of your life undoing someone else's screw up of an app you bought from them.

I now have auto updates turned off for Astro File Manager, PocketCasts, and WeatherBug Elite.

By the way, is there a way to selectively turn off auto updates for individual apps on Mint / Ubuntu?  That would be cool.

Another maintenance tip.  Select settings, apps, all.  Scroll through that list and force stop then disable any apps that don't need to be running.  I think I have 21 of them disabled which I didn't install and you cannot uninstall.

Sincerely,

Ron