[ale] LPIC-2 or equivalent worth it?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 23:19:25 EST 2013

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 9:01 PM, Jeff Hubbs <jhubbslist at att.net> wrote:

>  ...and when something like this becomes the case, the reason we got away
> from Microsoft in the first place has caught up to us again.

That's not true. The RHCE exam can't be passed by just reading books like
the MSE test can. There's a reason they broke it up into smaller pieces
(RHSA->RHCE->RH<security, web, etc>->RHCA). Having skills in a complex
environment is hard enough. But unlike M$, who farmed out the MSE process
from DAY ONE, RedHat controls all aspects of the certification program that
has their name on it. It's a damn hard set of tests to pass and holding a
valid RHCE is functionally equivalent to holding a Masters Degree.

RedHat has done an admirable job of maintaining GPL code across their
supported environment. Every company they've acquired who wrote
closed-source was opened for all in-house written code as soon as it was
vetted as fully copyright owned. For the parts that were not, it was
clean-room rebuilt and THEN GPL'ed.

RedHat has strong-armed some technical changes and most have been good (the
move away from a.out formatted binaries was a big one). Others have been
less well received (selinux mostly due to complexity and US-centric code
base).

RedHat has gone to bat for Linux in court as well. They are a prime sponsor
of Linux Foundation, they fund much kernel development as well as ancillary
development for desktop parts, RedHat is a major reason Gnome managed to
get enough momentum to last (long enough to write crap like G3).

Last and not least, RedHat is NOT a monopoly that abuses their power. They
are a billion dollar company that sells support for a pile of code that can
be downloaded for free. None of the other commercial Linux vendors have or
deserve the high-standards in open-source ethics that RedHat has held onto
while also making a solid money-generating process.

They don't have to release the src.rpms all ready to use but they do. Don't
like their code, you can compile it yourself and add or remove any patches
you like. Want to be employed using Linux at your job? You have better odds
getting paid to shuffle rpms than all other package types combined. What
does that mean? It means RedHat is kicking M$ in the balls (and Solaris)
and winning. Unlike M$, RedHat winning doesn't stop smaller distros from
existing.

I've never understood why Novell, with their HUGE reach into schools, never
managed to push SuSE into a useful status for schools. RedHat is also
mostly silent on this area as well. Ubuntu is making inroads from a
personal, one teacher here and there standing but without the large-scale,
enterprise level support tools it will be relegated to a footnote in K12
technology use. Watching Apple gain ground again in K12 makes my stomach
churn.

> On 2/26/13 8:56 PM, Scott McBrien wrote:
>
> The industry standard is RHCE.
>
>  -Scott
>
> On Feb 26, 2013, at 8:29 PM, dev null zero two <dev.null.02 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>   any of you have your LPIC-2 (or 3) or equivalent level Linux certs? any
> of the Novell or Oracle ones fun?
>
> if so, was it worth pursuing? the LPIC-1 was a joke but from what I've
> heard of 2 and 3, it's a lot more kernel hacking than admin stuff. tho the
> one guy I know with 3 is a Debian maintainer :-P
>
> Sent from my mobile. Please excuse the brevity, spelling, and punctuation.

James P. Kinney III
*
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain