[ale] WAY [OT] but geeky - how do I calibrate GPS barometric altimeter

Sean Kilpatrick kilpatms at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 23:59:58 EST 2013

The civilian rade GPS units by and large only claim to be accurate within
50 feet or so -- in any direction. That certainly was proven true during a
recent trip to Amelia Island, Florida -- just north of Jacksonville.
the unit reported elevation on different days between -50 and +75 feet,
when the car was parked ~maybe~ eight feet above mean high tide.

GPS units do exist that can pinpoint your location within a few small
fractions of an inch in any direction, but they cost a LOT more than the
Garmin on my dash.

Sean