[ale] Hard Drive Failures

David Tomaschik david at systemoverlord.com
Thu Feb 21 19:52:06 EST 2013

FWIW, I currently use 3 tools for backups:

Plain rsync script to an external drive: most reliable chance of recovery
(seriously, "cp" will do the recovery), but requires attaching an external
drive.
duplicity to remote machine: Uses rsync algo to do incrementals, encrypts
using gpg, but will require duplicity to restore.  Completely automated.
CrashPlan: unlimited storage for multiple machines, but with a proprietary
client.  I tolerate this because it's the best option for my wife's Windows
laptop, syncs relatively often, and lets someone else manage the
infrastructure.  (And I know some people who vouch for their crypto, so I'm
pretty certain in the safety of it.)

At any given time, I have at least 2 backups less than 1 week old (usually
3) in 2 physically disparate locations.  Previous strong resilience against
software errors, hard drive failures, fire, and theft.  I haven't done a
restore drill with CrashPlan (bad me) but do regularly do so with the
rsync.  (In fact, that's how I upgraded my hard drive last time. -- Install
new drive, restore from backup.)

David Tomaschik