[ale] OT: sort of it is about OSS

Pete Hardie pete.hardie at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 18:36:09 EST 2013

I just sat through a patent presentation at work, and they were saying
patents were 20 years -

from uspto.gov:

How long does patent protection last?
------------------------------

For applications filed on or after June 8, 1995, utility and plant patents
are granted for a term which begins with the date of the grant and usually
ends 20 years from the date you first applied for the patent subject to the
payment of appropriate maintenance fees. Design patents last 14 years from
the date you are granted the patent. Note: Patents in force on June 8 and
patents issued thereafter on applications filed prior to June 8, 1995
automatically have a term that is the greater of the twenty year term
discussed above or seventeen years from the patent grant.

Pete Hardie
--------
Better Living Through Bitmaps