[ale] OT: sort of it is about OSS

Jay Lozier jslozier at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 12:45:15 EST 2013

On 02/15/2013 11:36 AM, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> On 2/14/13 10:43 PM, Scott Castaline wrote:
>>
>> Has anyone seen this?
>> http://pyfound.blogspot.com/2013/02/python-trademark-at-risk-in-europe-we.html
>>

>> Are trademarks treated differently that patents? To me it just seems
>> like a pile of crap that someone can come along and do that to someone
> Yes.  Patents are a temporary monopoly on an idea, granted by
> government in exchange for full disclosure.
Trademarks have an indefinite lifespan. Once you register a trademark
you must actively enforce (civil court) your trademark against all
infringement. If the courts ever rule you have not been diligent about
protecting your trademark you will lose it permanently. Aspirin was a
trademark for Bayer in the US but has long since been lost. There are
many product names that actually started out as trademarks and were at
some point lost. Several others in the US include (from Wikipedia):
Aqua-lung, Aspirin, Escalator, Heroin, Kerosene, Phillips-head screw,
Pogo, Thermos, Yo-yo, and Zipper.

--
Jay Lozier
jslozier at gmail.com