[ale] OT: Comcast modem

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Fri Feb 15 00:53:19 EST 2013

I had comcast residential service on dhcp for about 10 yrs. During that time, my IP changed 4 times. Only once did that change cause any issues - I was in China, ddclient automatically changed the IP for  the DNS entry, but propagation took about a day to get to over there for some reason.  Now when I go on travel, I reduce the TTL for DNS in case I need to take drastic steps for any reason - even with static IPs.

Setup whatever dynamic DNS service and forget about it. My Mom's connection has a subdomain on dyndns that her router manages so I can reach it easily with ssh.

--
Sent from a Linux system.