[ale] OT: Comcast modem

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Tue Feb 12 15:37:44 EST 2013

On 02/12/2013 11:29 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> JD <jdp at algoloma.com> writes:
>
> [snip]
>> residential, but it also appears that if the bandwidth is available, I
>> get it as I need it.  Up and down have clocked at over 30Mbps when we
>> pay for the lowest tier service.  Whether those services can be
>
> You get 30Mbps UP on Comcast Biz Class!??!?!?!  I'm paying for 22/6 and
> I see/measure 30/8

We pay for 12/3 or 12/2 - can't remember.  I was shocked to see that throughput too.

Just tested again and saw 12/2, so that 32/30 could have been a completely
fluke, but I have seen well over my paid allocation multiple times before.

Reran pointing at GA-Tech servers - 21/4.

Pulled the last bill - the company pays for 16/3 + some extra IPs according to
this: http://business.comcast.com/smb/services/internet/plans/.aspx

Some friends on "other providers" never get what they are promised.

OTOH, I remember the days of 1200 baud and actually used 120 baud to
communicated with spacecraft.

Somewhere around 128Kbps, web surfing becomes a pleasure.  Everything after that
is gravy!