[ale] [OT]I think this is awesome, you may find it scary

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Tue Feb 12 11:34:37 EST 2013

Take a look at the ghostery, better privacy, and collusion plugins.  Collusion maps all the tracking cookies graphically, and after using the browser a while, it's scary.  I have ghostery set to block over 1000 tracking cookies, but it's probably still a loosing battle.

I have my FF settings to accept cookies, but not third party, and keep until FF closes, which is rarely.  I have the clear on close settings to remove everything except cookies and site prefs.  It's a bit confusing, but these settings should delete all cookies when I close (due to the keep until FF closes menu) except the ones that I've made permanent exceptions for, like my bank.

Also, look into disabling DOM storage, which is a whole other way they can invade your privacy.  The better privacy plugin can help delete flash cookies.

By using the flash settings manager at this address, you can set flash not to allow flash cookies except for the websites you want to have them:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager.html

You have to be using flash and trust macromedia.com and adobe.com for this to work.  If you're not using flash, you don't care about this.

Click global storage settings, and check all three boxes.

Then click website storage settings and specifically allow things that have to have flash cookies to work, like pandora.  Delete everything else.

Sincerely,

Ron