[ale] [OT] DC 404 group was Fwd: Re: semi [OT] cool info, sn podcast, FIXING SSD'S, linksys router flaws, more

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Mon Feb 11 20:40:52 EST 2013

Hi Keith, and others,

Thanks for the links and info.

Sorry for the confusion about the .to domain.  I wasn't familiar with that and my net filter is set to block proxy / anonymizer sites.  Why that particular function was triggered, I don't know.  I eventually put an override in for your specific list and subscribed to the mailing list.

I'll probably try to make it down there to the meeting on Saturday, but I don't know if I can make it every month due to fuel costs along with other meetings I try to go to.  Every time I drive to a meeting an hour away and back, that costs me $ 25 if gas is $ 4 / gallon.

Maybe I can catch the Google Hangout.  Do you have to be in Google + to use those?

I'm going to make it a point later to check out those other security links you mentioned.

Sincerely,

Ron

"Watson, Keith" <krwatson at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:

>Ron,
>
>When we have equipment and network available we try to host a Google
>hangout of the meeting. Many of the DC404 members are speakers at
>security conferences so it is not uncommon to see a beta run of a
>conference presentation that is destined for Black Hat, Defcon,
>Shmoocon, etc. One caveat is that the Google hangout video of the
>presentation screen isn't all that legible so it isn't as good as being
>there.
>
>.to is the it is just the top level domain of the island country of
>Tonga.
>
>The .to domain is a top level domain (TLD) for the country of Tonga and
>is no different than any other TLD such as .com, .org, or .net .
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.to
>

>Is it possible that someone is hosting a proxy in the .to domain space?
>Yes, just like they do in other TLDs like .com, .net and .org.
>
>A Google search for site:.to turns up 61,800,000 results although I'm
>sure there are multiple hits for some of the systems in the .to domain.
>
>Does it mean that every .to is a proxy/anonymizer? No more than saying
>that every .com, .net, or .org domain address is a proxy/anonymizer?
>

>The previous meeting section of the web page is a bit behind. However
>you can get the schedule from here but it is virtually always the third
>Saturday of the month. The best thing to do is subscribe to the mail
>list because if there is a meeting change we announce it there.
>
>http://dc404.org/calendar/
>
>https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=8h2ufpva5s2jurbfn2f53b60j4@group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/New_York
>
>http://preview.tinyurl.com/avbec94
>

>The next meeting is Saturday 2/16/2013. Some of the members will be at
>Shmoocon but we are still having a meeting.
>
>I have been attending DC404 meetings every month since November of
>2008. There have been a few times when the DC404 meeting was not held
>because almost every member was attending Outerz0ne but I think that
>has only happened twice and the list was notified beforehand. I also
>think we canceled the meeting one December after polling the mail list
>members because it landed to close to Christmas and no one was going
>anyway.
>
>The next Outerz0ne should be around April
>http://www.outerz0ne.org/
>
>You might also be interested in this.
>
>Atlanta Information Security Resources
>http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~krwatson/atlanta_infosec_resources.html
>

>keith

Please excuse my potential brevity.

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

Ron Frazier
770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
linuxdude AT techstarship.com