[ale] OT: Comcast modem

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Mon Feb 11 13:23:03 EST 2013

On 02/11/2013 09:35 AM, Edward Holcroft wrote:
> All,
>
> I have been paying Comcast to rent a cable modem for the last 6 years
> and have realized I could've owned several for the money I've handed
> to them over the years.
>
> Has anybody got some advice? What's the best way to go about this? Is
> it essential to have a "Comcast approved" device or will any cable
> modem work?
>
> Are there any changes in the pipeline that I need to be aware of for a
> purchase I make now e.g. IPv6? Is there a single
> "no-brainer" modem that I should buy? Or alternately, Is there any
> equipment that I should avoid?

I have two Surfboard 2161 modems at two different locations.  In both
cases when I spoke with Comcast employees  and mentioned the modem
model, they said that was an exceptional modem and they had a lot of
people using them and they were a breeze to install.  I googled for
recommendations and while I can't tell you where I saw the info, the
Motorola units were always highly rated.  I've been quite happy with
them so far.  They don't have a phone connection, wife or multiple
ethernet ports, but since in both cases I have a router following them
that's not an issue for me.

Jim.