[ale] OT: Comcast modem

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Mon Feb 11 10:11:00 EST 2013

I highly recommend the Motorola Surfboard models.   Like others I’d recommend DOCSIS 3 because of enhanced security and other reasons.

I bought my own (DOCSIS 2.0) back when I was with Time Warner in North Carolina and still use it to this day with Comcast (around 11 years).   Prior to moving to North Carolina I’d rented one from Comcast.

Unlike the other poster here I’ve never seen a Motorola cable modem fail.   I’ve also never yet had Comcast blame my modem for issues (but have had them deny they had any issues when it was clear they did but that is another story).

In fact years ago when lightning zapped my router, TV, alarm system and other things I was pleasantly surprised to see it had no effect on the cable modem.