[ale] Basics of Linux lower level than distros

Narahari 'n' Savitha savithari at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 23:22:07 EST 2013

What I mean is

I am on Arch Linux and say I want to make my Creative Live Webcam work and
it requires drivers to be compiled and some one on the web has the source
code for the drivers or compiled libraries/modules for the Webcam.

Since Arch does not have a package or for that matter Ubuntu does not have
a .deb file, how do I go about getting it installed on my box ?  What is
the process to get

a. source tar ball
b. compile it to libs
c. make a pkg a .deb or whatever Arch offers (if needed)
d. install drivers
e. kernel update needed or not etc.,

What I explained could be low level but I am sure Arch or Debian put
together nice installers, but if there are no installers how can I put
latest software etc.,

Another one is what does a MBR help you with and how does GRUB or syslinux
really help or more imp like
"I have Linux on another partition and windows on another".  Do I need to
really re-install Linux or patch it up well so both OS's breathe again ?

These kind of fundamental questions is what I was planning to understand.

-Narahari