[ale] [OT] Any Eclipse and C users on the list

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Mon Feb 4 10:50:38 EST 2013

On 02/03/2013 02:45 PM, Michael Potter wrote:
> JD,
>
> This wikipedia entry:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makedepend
> seems to indicate that gcc -MM is preferred over makedepend.

My "simple Makefile" that I've been using has been simplified to not create
dependencies anymore. Sorry.  I did find the build files used on that commercial
software - they were extremely complex, but elegant with each directly managing
the build inside.  At the top level, anyone could type "make all" and cause
builds on 10 different platforms, system tests and packaging on 9 of the 10
platforms we supported. MS-Windows was the 1 platform that automatic tests and
package creating didn't work - as everyone here would guess. ;)

Still, the world is changing and it seems that the gcc guys have added
dependency building to the compiler so we don't need external programs anymore
for that.