[ale] N Router issues with DD-WRT

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Tue Dec 31 15:43:03 EST 2013

On 12/31/2013 12:27, Chris Fowler wrote:
> On 12/31/2013 02:57 PM, Jim Lynch wrote:
>> On 12/31/2013 02:43 PM, Chris Fowler wrote:
>>> I spent some time yesterday changing my network infrastructure.
>>>
>>> Here is what I had originally:
>> I researched routers about 6 months ago.  Seems the crowd at the time
>> thought the ASUS RT-N16 was the best deal going.  I run one with
>> Tomato but I know the DD-WRT folks also like it.  I don't know if
>> Fry's handles it locally, but it's worth the wait if you can't get it
>> locally.
> I'll look at that one.
>
> I just confirmed that the Wii can not connect to the E1000v1 DD-WRT either.

I've got two Linksys WRT's (a 54Gv1 and a 54GLv4) both running OpenWRT
and the Wii had issues with both of them until I enabled SSID
broadcasting (I had always defaulted to not broadcasting).  Encryption
is PSK2 TKIP but the magic was the broadcast.  Once I enabled that, it
was all fine.  On the other hand, the two Xboxes never had an issue with
either router.  I've also got three laptops, a Mac Pro (unibody) and an
S4 all connecting to these routers with no issue either.