[ale] N Router issues with DD-WRT

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Dec 31 14:43:36 EST 2013

Ispent some time yesterday changing my network infrastructure.

Here is what I had originally:

1. Main router attached to G-Duo DSL modem: D-Link WBR-1310.
2.  AP in attic Linksys WRT54Gv8 / GSv7 running DD-WRT.

I've replaced #1 with a Linksys E1000 v1 running DD-WRT v24.  I want it
to be as fast as possible
and only N.

E1000 v1 DD-WRT Router:
N Only
Channel 1
20MHz BW
WPA2-PSK(AES)

WRT54Gv8 DD-WRT AP:
G Only
Channel 11
20 MHZ BW
WEP

Iperf on my Samsung S4 back to my desktop over Ethernet is reporting
35+mbps.  That is nice.

One issue I'm running into is that my 3DS XL will only negotiate with
the attic AP.  It is complaining about the key on the router. It can
connect just fine to my Samsung S4 and the S4 uses the same encryption
method.  I can only imagine this may be a DD-WRT issues since both run
the same encryption type.

My questions simplifies down to these:

1.  I wanted to replace the D-Link because yesterday I added more
devices via a Dish Hopper and Joeys that I bridged.  I noticed that I
was losing my ethernet connection to the D-Link constantly after these
additions.  That router is circa 2006(?).   I had an E1000 v1.  Is there
a router I can buy at Frys today that can do the job well?

2.  I want more visibility and QoS options on the router.  For example I
want my SSH sessions to take priority over EVERYTHING else.  I work from
home and can have multiple xterms running.  This is not a problem until
school vacation if you know what I mean. :) Does the E1000 fit the bill?

3.  I would like to have 300mbps capability.  We have 3 Android phones,
2 Android Tablets, Xbox 360, Wii, 3DS, 3 Laptops, 1 desktop PC and Dish
Hopper that are all wireless!!!    After I tweaked the hopper install
the tablets could be running the Sling client for one daughter that did
not get a Joey. I only have 4 devices that use Ethernet.  The AP in the
attic is wired back to the router via CAT-5.

4.  One that supports ADSL2+ would allow me to replace my G-Duo, circa
2003(?), that has issues with many connections.

5.  The Attic router was to provide signal across the whole house and
reach areas where the Dlink could not.  I've noticed the E1000 has
better signal so I may could get away with not having an attic router
anymore.

I'm thinking I need to buy something created this year.  The E1000 was
made in 2009. I do not even use DHCP on my router anymore since I have
many custom DHCP rules for devices around here.   I have one rule that
assigns a range to a certain hardware prefix.   This is my work related
stuff.

Another unrelated question I have is running MASQ over an alias
interface.  I tried this back in 199 and ran into issues.  I'd like to
assign a subnet on my desktop to eth0:1 and then assign all the
childrens devices to that subnet with my desktop being the router
between 192.168.1.0/24 and 192.168.2.0/24.  This allows me visibility
with what they are doing.   I could add a USB adaptor, but I only have 4
ports on the E1000 and I need to keep devices down to a minimum.  I'm a
ham radio op and power supplies create noise.

Chris