[ale] Off-lease/refurb systems, acctg/bookkeeping sw

Jeremy T. Bouse jeremy.bouse at UnderGrid.net
Fri Dec 27 13:46:57 EST 2013

On 27.12.2013 12:50, Ken Cochran wrote:

> Other than that, are there any workable alternatives to
> QuickBooks for *payroll* that are *not* online-required?
> (And that are usable by *mom* and/or mom-approved? :)
> I know about GNUCash but best I can tell, it won't do payroll
> unless that's changed recently.

While my personal solution to account/bookkeeping software doesn't meet
your specific requirements I'll throw it out there for anyone that is
looking for something more geared toward freelance consulting and
doesn't mind the online aspect. I use FreeAgent
(http://fre.ag/423nfxga). It's online and very easy to use and work
with. It originally started specifically designed for UK freelance work
but in the past couple years they've been working to gear it towards US
structured businesses. I had my accountant look at it during my trial
period before deciding to subscribe and she commented that for the cost
and features it was better than QuickBooks for me. While I don't have to
handle payroll, it does handle hourly and per item invoicing but also
recurring invoices as I have clients with contractually agreed monthly
or annual rates. It also helps with AR as it can send out reminder
notices before an invoice is due as well as past due notices
automatically.