[ale] Unity focus problem, following link in email

PairOfTwins PairOfTwins at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 18 19:22:53 EST 2013

see below...
On 12/18/2013 06:09 PM, Preston wrote:
> On 12/18/2013 2:45 PM, PairOfTwins wrote:
>> All:
>>
>> Lots of searching and still scratching my head.
>>
>> I've got an 87 year old running Ubuntu 12.04 for over a year now :-)
>> It's fully updated.
>>
>> Lately it developed this problem - she clicks on a link in an email,
>> and nothing seems to happen.  ACTUALLY Firefox loads the page but
>> doesn't bring it to the front.  Even when I click on the Firefox
>> launcher, it STILL doesn't come to the front.  BUT if I click on Home
>> Folder, THEN on Firefox, it comes to the front!
>>
>> BTW if I make Chrome the default browser, it acts the same.  If the
>> browser is not running, the browser comes to the front and displays
>> the page.  If the browser is already running, it loads the page but my
>> 87-year old doesn't know it.
>>
>> Clues?
>>
>> Tom
>>
> Tom, since it's not browser specific, what email program is being used
> and is it toggled to stay on top?
>
> Preston
Using Thunderbird, where she clicks on links, she sees no response. In
Unity, I can't click on the titlebar per se, as it's integrated into the
desktop.  However, if I click on another program launcher, that program
replaces Thunderbird.  Unless I click on the browser, in which case
there's no response.  Click on another launcher FIRST, and then the
browser appears.

Oddly, when clicking on the link in the email, the top of the Unity
desktop shows the name of the page and the name of the browser -- just
not the browser itself!