[ale] First time setting up mail server (postfix & dovecat)

Jeremy T. Bouse jeremy.bouse at UnderGrid.net
Tue Dec 17 11:14:26 EST 2013

First off, just a little semantics but it [mail.example.com] is a
HOSTNAME not a SUBDOMAIN.

Now, on the meat of the question...

The 'myhostname' is just that, it's the host's hostname and what
Postfix will use when it adds it's 'Received' headers to any mail
messages whether inbound or outbound. It does not really affect the
operations of Postfix.

The 'mydomain' is specifying the domain which is used in several other
areas of the Postfix config where it appends $mydomain to values. This
is also used to append to addresses that are not fully-qualified and
just contain the username or a short hostname without a fully-qualified
domain name.

Neither 'myhostname' or 'mydomain' have any bearing on Dovecot, well,
as they are Postfix configurations so telneting to the IMAP port
(143/tcp) which Dovecot is listening won't display any problems with the
Postfix configuration. To check Postfix you'd want to check the SMTP
port (25/tcp) or Submission (587/tcp) but that would require using the
openssl s_client connection to support STARTTLS.