[ale] Fedora install/ Windows 8/UEFI issues

Jim Philips briarpatch.jim at gmail.com
Sun Dec 15 12:33:57 EST 2013

My optimism was wildly premature. The fist time I tried booting to Windows
after the Ubuntu install, everything worked fine. But after that, Ubuntu
wouldn't boot. I reinstalled Ubuntu. I also ran the boot repair utility i
Ubuntu. Windows booted once after that. I tried going back to boot Ubuntu.
No dice. Windows wouldn't boot again. I tried using the restore utility in
Windows for boot recovery. Now, when I start the machine, nothing happens.
If I hit Esc at bootup, it says to hit Esc again to enter the startup menu.
Doing that has no effect. BIOS simply refuses to start, so I can't do any
further setup or change options at all. It just sits there. UEFI sure is
fun!