[ale] Fedora install/ Windows 8/UEFI issues

Jim Philips briarpatch.jim at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 11:31:57 EST 2013

I have a new HP all-in-one that I bought for the family. But of course I
want to install Linux on it. It's running Windows 8.1 and so uses UEFI. I
am looking at my options for getting Fedora 20 to install. Most of the
posts I have seen say I should just disable secure boot for the Fedora
installation. But this leads to a sloppy situation where you have to switch
BIOS settings to boot one or the other OS (or so it appears). I could also
just install Fedora in Virtual Box, but I see that as a last resort. Does
anybody here have experience in overcoming the roadblocks of UEFI? Is one
distro easier than another when it comes to dealing with it?

When I try to boot from the Fedora DVD, I just get a message saying:

"invalid signature detected. Check Secure Boot Policy in Setup."