[ale] UDP Broadcasts

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Thu Dec 12 00:55:08 EST 2013

Ok, a networking and a Linux question.

First, does anyone have a reference (URL or source code) that shows how
to receive UDP broadcast packets from multiple sending devices?  In
other words, if I have two net devices each broadcasting UDP packets, I
want to build a listener that will capture the packets from both devices
(or more as I add devices).

The Linux half of the question:  is there a quick CLI way of playing
with UDP similar to utilities like tcpconnect?  I want to be able to
examine the payloads before I dive into writing a C program although
maybe writing the C program that just echos the payload is the way to go
to figure out the base network stack.