[ale] Is Promiscuous Sniffing just not so much Fun anymore? (mostly on-topic)

Brian Mathis brian.mathis+ale at betteradmin.com
Tue Dec 10 19:45:12 EST 2013

If the local switch was compromised and placed into monitor mode, then a
3rd party could sniff the traffic, but now you're talking some really
specific case.  It's generally considered secure to have one server talk to
another over a local switch, otherwise things like NFS and databases would
be a huge pain, if not impossible to use.

However, which do you consider more of a threat?  The overhead of switching
to HTTPS, or an auditor who fails you on an audit?  Maybe you would pick
the former, but I'm sure your business would pick the latter.  Keeping
auditors happy is just as important as "real" work.

❧ Brian Mathis