[ale] GPS Linux

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Sat Dec 7 16:00:19 EST 2013

On 12/08/2013 03:15 AM, Boris Borisov wrote:
> I'm looking for GPS navigation software for Linux preferable free and
> open source with offline maps support. I have read few reviews here
> and there but I will appreciate your opinion :)

I have tried about 5 different tools on Android, but none for Linux.
* NAVfree USA (sometimes the navigation is just stupid)
* NAVfree-World (mostly Europe)
* OsmAnd (for the rest of the world) Not my favorite, but better than nothing.
* Maps-With-Me (Meh)
* City-Maps-To-Go (meh)
* Google Maps - cache management sucks. Nearly worthless when offline, IMHO.
I've seen that maps were available when in the USA, then traveled to the country
and had Google block those maps when local. This has happened in completely
unexpected places.

The NAVFree versions have terrible limitations on "favorites". Searching for
locations does NOT search our favorites.

Got sent off in a strange route today using navFree - was late for a meeting ...
this wasn't the first time. I'm thinking that $40 for a paid solution might be
worth it. Been using these for 3+ yrs now.  The routing around my home often
does not use the most direct roads for some strange reason which is very
frustrating.