[ale] unmount problem

Damon L. Chesser damon at damtek.com
Sat Dec 7 12:16:27 EST 2013

On 12/07/2013 05:46 AM, Horkan Smith wrote:
> Sean, you might try
>
> # fuser /path/media/drive
>
> as well, that should give you the PID of the process that's hanging you up.
>
> Not sure if that uses the same info as the lsof cmd though....
>
> Damon, wouldn't a lazy umount like that run the risk of it *looking* like it's unmounted, but not really *be* unmounted?

Not in my experience, but you could do a mount command and verify
after.  And better still, sync wrote all files in the buffer to disk, so
if you yank the drive, you get no data loss.  I suspect either the file
manager is holding it open (are you in that dir?) or a term is holding
it open (same, are you in that dir).  I thought about fuser, just cause
it was fun to say to customers and keep a straight face.  it would tell
you the PID, then you can nuke it. But I took the tack that I would want
it umounted, processes be damned and sync; umount -l would do that.
Plus, IIRC, umount -l will report a problem with unmounting it if it
failed. The risk of lazy umount is data loss due to not writing buffers
and processes reading blowing up.  It is a big hammer.