[ale] Using RHN Satellite to deploy a standard firewall: recommendations?

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 13:03:35 EDT 2013

Jerry,

I am using spacewalk, the open version of Satelllite, scripts you can
use to put in place your firewall script, I am not doing firewall, but
I am using to use it to install a mysql with a version of mysql, so if
you don't mind doing a bit of bash or perl script you can use it to up
the box.

The configuration channels are great for boxes that have already been
develop, it not as powerful as say puppet/chef but it useful.

Satellite 6.0 is suppose to have puppet with it, so deploy config
files will be easy.

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 12:48 PM, Beddingfield, Allen <allen at ua.edu> wrote:
> I'm using SUSE Manager, which is  SUSE's rebuild of Spacewalk (the open source version of Satellite).  You could just push out a /etc/sysconfig/iptables file with a config channel, then follow that with a remote execution script to do "service iptables restart"
> Or, you could just do the remote execution script to pull down a copy of the iptables file from somewhere and do the restart.
> Allen B.
>
> --
> Allen Beddingfield
> Systems Engineer
> The University of Alabama

Terror PUP a.k.a
Chuck "PUP" Payne

(678) 636-9678
openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
Community Manager -- Southeast Linux Foundation (SELF)
freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein
Register Linux Userid: 155363

Have you tried SUSE Studio? Need to create a Live CD,  an app you want
Studio a try. www.susestudio.com.
See you at Southeast Linux Fest, June 7-9, 2013 in Charlotte, NC.
www.southeastlinuxfest.org