[ale] Kickstart on Citrix Xen

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 11:38:57 EDT 2013

Jim,

I am waiting on the forums, I need to correct one thing, I am on
Citrix Xen 6.0, under the doc 5.4, I am selecting the right template
with the Wizard, CentOS not RHEL and I am selecting the CentOS
template.

To install RHEL Using a Kickstart File:

Note

A Red Hat Kickstart file is an automated installation method, similar
to an answer file, you can use to provide responses to the RHEL
installation prompts. To create this file, install RHEL manually. The
kickstart file is located in /root/anaconda-ks.cfg.

In XenCenter, choose the appropriate RHEL template

Specify the kickstart file to use as a kernel command-line argument in
the XenCenter New VM Wizard, exactly as it would be specified in the
PXE config file, for example:

ks=http://server/file ksdevice=eth0   <-- That is what I am using.

On the command line, use vm-param-set to set the PV-args parameter to
make use of a Kickstart file

xe vm-param-set uuid=<vm_uuid> PV-args="ks=http://server/path ksdevice=eth0"

Set the repository location so XenServer knows where to get the kernel
and initrd from for the installer boot:

xe vm-param-set uuid=<vm_uuid>
other-config:install-repository=<http://server/path>

Note

To install using a kickstart file without the New VM wizard, you can
add the appropriate command to the Advanced OS boot parameters text
box. For example, for RHEL 5.4, this command would be
ks=nfs:telos:/linux/distros/auto-install/rhel54.cfg.