[ale] Hand Of Thief

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 10:13:46 EDT 2013

go here:
http://threatpost.com/questions-linger-about-new-linux-hand-of-thief-trojan

then here:
http://threatpost.com/new-linux-rootkit-emerges-112012/77231

And as always:

   - Do not install unsigned packages
   - Do not add unofficial repositories without investigating said
   repository
   - Keep your system up to date at all times
   - Keep all browser plugins up to date
   - If your distribution has SELinux, use it
   - Do not let others install software on your machines
   - Use solid passwords
   - If asked to enter root user (or sudo) password, always know why

Rule of thumb: NEVER install anything off a website that you can't verify
the source from. Self-compiled, downloaded code is a top-level insertion
method; often found with easy instructions to get some bit of game code
running, "get -this-, run -this-, add -this-, and your game runs" [-and
your box is now rooted-]. Too many people don't know enough to avoid this
method. Ubuntu forums are full of links to outside sites with code snippets
to run that all start with 'sudo...'. Fedora is only marginally better.

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 9:13 PM, Sergio Chaves <sergio.chaves at gmail.com>wrote:

> I know some of you have young children, parents, and grand parents
> using Linux so, here is my public service announcement:
>
> http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/linux-and-open-source/hand-of-thief-malware-could-be-dangerous-if-you-install-it/?ftag=TRE475558a&s_cid=e011&tag=nl.e011&ttag=e011

James P. Kinney III
*
It won't fatten the dog.