[ale] [OT] need a GOOD cassette tape player fast

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Tue Aug 27 01:35:13 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I know some of you are audio fans.  I need to prepare some music for a
family event on Sunday 5 days from now.  Not only that, I can only work
on it Tue - Thu.  I need to burn some cd's and some of the source music
is on cassette tape.  I need a GOOD cassette tape player fast that won't
eat the tapes and will play them accurately.  I picked up a Grace
Tape2USB unit from Frys.  I didn't know that the takeup spool wasn't
turning and it ate my test tape.  I got it out without breaking
initially but it broke when I was rewinding it in another player.
Reading amazon reviews indicates that this unit is rubbish for many
reviewers.  It's going back.  Not happy about the damaged tape either.

Needless to say, I don't want that to happen to the music source tape
for the event.  I used to have some tape splicing equipment but that was
LONG ago.  It seems like the only options are cheap boom boxes and VERY
expensive tape decks over $ 500.  I need something in the $ 100 range.
All the brands I used to know back in the OLD days seem to have
disappeared, like Teac, Pioneer, etc.  It would be nice if I can
continue to use the deck after the event to convert old music, sermons,
and audio books.  So, it would be nice if it will last a while.
However, the event is my primary priority.  If the unit has a built in
usb port, that's fine, but not essential.  I can feed audio into the
computer via line in if needed.

Eventually, I want to banish all audio tapes, video tapes, and non LED
light bulbs from my life.

Anybody have any ideas?

Any help is appreciated.

Sincerely,