[ale] May need purchase Laptop - Linux Friendly

Scott Plante splante at insightsys.com
Mon Aug 26 16:13:50 EDT 2013

Sorry, I actually meant getting a Chromebook and loading a regular Linux distro on it. That's what Linus is doing with the Pixel. The hardware seems pretty nice for the price and you're not paying Microsoft. I haven't heard what, if anything, Google is charging the hardware manufacturers for (open source) ChromeOS though.

That said, I don't know why you couldn't do something like Blender on ChromeOS. I believe they have a native interface that gives you OpenGL access. True, the $200 Chromebook probably doesn't have the juice, but the the Pixel certainly would. I also saw a fairly impressive 3D human anatomy Chrome OpenGL demo a while back.

Scott