[ale] Disk performance

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Sat Aug 24 21:13:51 EDT 2013

On 8/24/2013 18:03, Ed Cashin wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 8:38 PM, Alex Carver <agcarver+ale at acarver.net>wrote:
>
>> Well, looks like mostly still working although it has a memory leak
>> somewhere.  The free memory (according to top) is slowly dropping.  It went
>> from 380MB to 365MB in about two hours so 15MB went somewhere during that
>> time.  Probably one of the cron jobs or apache, just don't know which yet.
>>

> If you haven't already, you might check whether that memory is simply being
> used to cache stuff.  Linux aggressively caches blocks from disk in pages
> of memory, which is usually a convenience.

Good point, I'll look at that later and see what's up.  Although this
has led me to investigate one of my other machines (a P2) to check its
drives.  The drives are fine, they're just running a bit slow (20MB/s)
though I'm not too concerned since it's a low volume mail server (and
certainly better than the 200 KB/s I was getting on the troublesome
machine).