[ale] [OT] Liberties

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Thu Aug 22 11:25:23 EDT 2013

Hi Johnny,

That was a number I pulled from memory from a decade ago and it probably came from NRA, but I cannot remember for sure.  This is not something I've researched in a long time, so the number could be off.  The principle of detaining felons and violent criminals still applies.

I googled repeat offender violent felonies and came up with this:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1298&dat=20060808&id=Gi4zAAAAIBAJ&sjid=dAgGAAAAIBAJ&pg=6675,2218456

This is an image of a 2004 (I think) newspaper.  It's a bit hard to read, but I think it says:

50% of people convicted of violent felonies had a prior conviction
38% of people convicted of violent felonies had a prior felony conviction
15% of people convicted of violent felonies had a prior violent felony conviction

So, I guess it gets more complex depending on how you interpret the numbers.

Still, if we just keep all the felons off the street when we catch them the FIRST time, we reduce violent felonies by 38%.

If we keep all the violent felons off the street when we catch them the FIRST time, we reduce violent felonies by 15%.  This stat is abominable.  These people shouldn't be back out.

And, this only relates to the ones we catch again.  Some of them get smarter and learn how to commit crimes without getting caught.

Sincerely,

Ron