[ale] [OT] Liberties

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Thu Aug 22 10:51:39 EDT 2013

Hi Ed,

Perhaps I didn't say that last part too well.  The ambiguity that I meant to bring up is in the level of falseness of the sense of security.

So, I agree with Jim in that I don't want to give up any freedoms for a [totally] false sense of security.  But, I think the assumption that the sense of security is totally false, is a wrong assumption.  (Couldn't figure a better way to word that.)

Would I give up some freedoms in exchange for some REAL sense of security?  Yes, I would.  But the trick is where to draw the line.  We've probably already given up too much.

Would I give up all my freedoms, and have all my actions watched, verified, officially permitted or not, and recorded, all the time, everywhere (assuming we even have a choice); in order to have perfect safety, perfect predictability, and perfect boredom?  No, I would not wish to do that.

To be clear, the course we've gone down with nsa and such and all the freedoms that we have eroded, including the 2nd and 4th and 5th amendments, is a serious concern to me and I think we're going the wrong way.  We need to back up, get back to the constitution, and adapt our laws for the modern era.  I have posted messages here a couple of times endorsing the EFF.

However, neither do I expect perfect unlimited freedom nor do I expect perfect unlimited safety.  Reality is somewhere in the middle.

Sincerely,

Ron

Edward Holcroft <eholcroft at mkainc.com> wrote:

>"Your second statement is patently false.  Otherwise, we'd have no
>laws."
>
>Conversely, one could argue that Jim's statement is patently true,
>otherwise we'd have no crime. Both positions, I suspect, contain some
>form
>of logical fallacy.
>
>I'm also wondering Ron, what are those circumstances under which you'd
>be
>willing to surrender something (a civil liberty) in exchange for a
>*false
>sense of security* ("Your first statement is understandable, and I
>could
>even agree with it *to a point, depending on the circumstances*."), and
>why
>on earth would one ever be willing to do so?
>
>ed

-snip-