[ale] [OT] Liberties

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Wed Aug 21 15:21:06 EDT 2013

JD <jdp at algoloma.com> wrote:

>On 08/21/2013 01:56 PM, leam hall wrote:
>>
>> What I don't have an answer for it the balance between justice and
>privacy.
>> While Ben Franklin's old quote is a great idea, there are too many
>bad people in
>> the world who didn't read it.
>
>So the 99.9999999% of good people in the world should give up their
>privacy and
>governments shouldn't be held accountable?
>
>The terrorist have truly won.
>
>I am more afraid of my own government than any acts of terror.

Hi JD,

I am not endorsing the over reaching abuse of our government.  See my other post today for commentary.

However, I find your last statement to be fairly radical.

I do not have ANY fear that the workers at NSA, FBI, CIA, etc. will be using their power and knowledge to take the lives of 3000 of our citizens and destroy billions of dollars of property as the the terrorists did at World Trade Center.  Those workers are, almost universally, working to prevent OUR lives from ending in a similar manner and protect us from threats that we don't even know exist in some cases.  Let's keep a little perspective here.

Good people have been giving up rights and privileges due to the actions of a small percentage of bad actors since the beginning of the world.  There are thousands of laws which we must obey, not because WE would abuse our fellow citizens and customers and associates, but because OTHERS would abuse them.  Those laws either make it harder for them to abuse or easier for us to catch and prosecute them or both.  But, they also make it much harder on the good people and limit what we can do.  There's no way around this, as a concept.  It's just the way the world will always work as long as evil is in play.

The key is to find the right balance of what do you give up to stop the bad actors or at least slow them down and catch some of them.

Sincerely,

Ron