[ale] [OT] Groklaw shuts down due to potential "forced exposure" issues

Edward Holcroft eholcroft at mkainc.com
Wed Aug 21 10:06:30 EDT 2013

It is sad. Like you Sergio, I too am an immigrant for whom the US is now
home.

As a starry-eyed new immigrant, I was bitterly disappointed to experience
the election process first hand, to hear the things that came out of the
mouths of the candidates and to examine their lifestyles and business
practices etc. And I mean all the candidates, on all sides. It was such a
thoroughly, depressingly poor cast that all you could really do was vote
for the lesser of two evils, or perhaps spoil your paper in protest. Much
of the thinking, as expressed in their utterances and actions, was as
pitiful as the worst I've heard out of the mouths of the tin-pot, banana
republic, third world politicians from whence I hail. In our case though,
they're worse, because they should know better.

However, the USA is still, to me, the greatest place on earth to live and
work. So the question is, what do we do to fix this mess? We cannot just
"vote the government out" because almost all the candidates are equally bad
- I even see it down to local level, when you look at the corruption going
on here in GA from the Governor's Office down to the local sheriff. I have
no idea what to do as a citizen to fix this.

I watched this great video talk by Lawrence Lessig, but it's shy on
practical advice:
http://www.ted.com/talks/lawrence_lessig_we_the_people_and_the_republic_we_must_reclaim.htmlHe
articulates the position that by the time it gets to the election,
it's
too late for you and me ... the funders have had their say.

Short of burning down the Reichstag, how to we show civil dissent in
meaningful way - a way that brings about the hope and change that we are
being denied? I just do not know ...

cheers
ed

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 7:27 PM, Sergio Chaves <sergio.chaves at gmail.com>wrote:

> This is a perfect sample of "La Democracia" that all Latin America
> experience for years. I came to the US nearly 30 years ago, trying to
> experience true freedom, true justice, and the true respect for the
> country's constitution.
> I no longer feel like that. In fact, I have experienced quite a bit of
> flashbacks.
> Sad, very sad!
>
> If any of you have the time to read this article/study
> http://www.colorado.edu/conflict/full_text_search/AllCRCDocs/95-1.htm
> you may notice a few coincidences with what happened to Brazil then
> and what is happening here now.
>
> Sad...
>
> On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 5:39 PM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I stand corrected. Too bad the correct tense has the word "perfect" in
> it as
> > the past wasn't perfect either.
> >

> > On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 5:11 PM, Sean Kilpatrick <kilpatms at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Jim,
> >>
> >> It's a good question; only the verb tense is wrong. You need
> PastPerfect:
> >>
> >> ". . . country have we turned into."
> >>
> >> Sean

> > --
> > --
> > James P. Kinney III
> >
> > Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you
> gain
> > at one end you lose at the other. It's like feeding a dog on his own
> tail.
> > It won't fatten the dog.
> > - Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain
> >
> > http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/

Edward Holcroft | Madsen Kneppers & Associates Inc.
3020 Holcomb Bridge Rd. NW | Norcross, GA 30071
O (770) 446-9606 | M (770) 630-0949

--
MADSEN, KNEPPERS & ASSOCIATES USA, MKA Canada Inc. WARNING/CONFIDENTIALITY
NOTICE: This message may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not