[ale] [OT] Groklaw shuts down due to potential "forced exposure" issues

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Tue Aug 20 10:32:44 EDT 2013

“Hope and change” implies as has a lot of recent press that this is new under the current President.  I remind you these policies were put in place under the previous one.

The fact is that it is wrong regardless of which President does it however I’d also note that the Republicans did not fight it when they held Congress under Bush and in fact during the early days of the Patriot act many folks liked to pretend dissent was the same as treason.

The Democrats rightly decried the phone spying program before they took over Congress but then to show us it doesn’t matter who is in office not only did they pass a law authorizing it – they made it retroactive to cover what had been done under Bush.

However, I’d suggest those who let Bush et al get away with these tactics made it much easier for Obama et al to continue them.

A problem with supporting dictators is that even if you like the guy in power now the chances are you won’t like the one who succeeds him.